(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: The Conditionalist Answer to Revelation 20:10

Re: The Conditionalist Answer to Revelation 20:10 1 year, 9 months ago #3890

• eternal
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the response.

webb wrote:
Dear Eternal,

I respect your thinking process. For myself, if we're talking about torment (basanismos) in Rev. 14:9-11, I can't supply from elsewhere the notion that those who are tormented forever and ever are corpses. It feels like supplying a foreign element, and it doesn't fit well with the statement that those who are tormented never have rest. Verses 12-13 confirm that the issue is about whether people will have "rest for their souls." John is saying, if you are hoping to get freedom from the stress of persecution and of the risk of arrest and death by giving in to the beast's demands, just imagine that you will never, ever get to rest if you do give in. You must steel yourself, exercise all your faith. Do not give in, because the consequences will be everlasting.

You don't think the picture of a body being tossed in the waves for eternity, adequately communicates a contrast to rest? Especially in contrast to a more noble, burial? Kind of like in Revelation 19, where the scavenging birds are called to feast on the dead bodies of the wicked.

webb wrote:
Chris Date (and many others, who agree with him) and I do not come to the same conclusion about Mt. 25. I have my own thorough analysis of what's going on there, which I recommend to you. It's in the book I linked to on the thread The Bad Place. To really understand the explanatory power of my approach I think you have to follow the careful process of argumentation in the book, which teaches about this age, the kingdom of God, the age to come, and the biblical concept of time. I won't spoil it. Dip in and see if you get hooked.

Thanks. I will pick at it over time. I just read the "hard ones" portion today, to see your view on this particular issue. But I saved it so I will keep returning to it.

I really appreciate your correspondence. There's not a lot of people who enjoy to think somewhat critically about this with.

Re: The Conditionalist Answer to Revelation 20:10 1 year, 9 months ago #3891

• webb
Eternal,

To me, when it is only bodies, there is nobody there to be restless. I'm just sayin'. If it works for you, I'm not going to fight it.

My section on Mt. 25:31-46 is right near the end of the chapter before "The Hard Ones," p. 128. Check that out. But everything in Chapters 2 and 3 carefully lays a biblical eschatological foundation for the thinking about Mt. 25 and about "The Hard Ones." It kind of loses the heart of the argument to jump to the end.

Re: The Conditionalist Answer to Revelation 20:10 1 year, 9 months ago #3896

• eternal
  • Junior Boarder
webb wrote:
Eternal,

To me, when it is only bodies, there is nobody there to be restless. I'm just sayin'. If it works for you, I'm not going to fight it.

My section on Mt. 25:31-46 is right near the end of the chapter before "The Hard Ones," p. 128. Check that out. But everything in Chapters 2 and 3 carefully lays a biblical eschatological foundation for the thinking about Mt. 25 and about "The Hard Ones." It kind of loses the heart of the argument to jump to the end.

Got it. Thanks.
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?