A Two Part Sermon Introducing Annihilationism
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Two Part Sermon Introducing Annihilationism

A Two Part Sermon Introducing Annihilationism 2 years ago #3834

• MarkC
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I just preached two sermons on the topic of annihilationism at my church (I asked for prayer for this in a previous post). Here are links to the two sermons:

Part 1 (I previously shared this in the comments section where I asked for prayer):

Link:

Part 2

Link:

I am sharing those sermons here with the hope and prayer that God might use them to help others beyond my own small church. These two sermons are specifically designed to introduce the Biblical doctrine of annihilationism to Bible believing Christians who may have never even heard of annihilationism. Thus, I spend a fair bit of time in the first sermon just explaining what makes annihilationism different from the traditional view. The rest of the time I spend trying to provide the best case I can in ninety minutes to show why I’m convinced that the Bible does in fact teach annihilationism.

For some of you these two sermons might be “boring” because you already have studied this topic at a depth past the introductory level. The sermons don’t even scratch the surface of all the Biblical evidence presented in the magisterial, brilliant presentation in “The Fire that Consumes”. Yet, these sermons might be very helpful to you. Here’s how:

1. If you watch them yourselves, you could then share the link (via email or Facebook) with others. People sometimes act defensively if you come across as saying “your traditional belief is wrong”, but people often like it if you simply ask their opinion, as in: “I watched these videos about Hell. They present an unusual view which I believe is correct. What do you think about them?”

2. These sermon videos might give you some ideas about how to introduce this topic yourself if you are a pastor or if you teach a Bible study. Of course you will adapt the material to your audience, and hopefully, with God’s help, also improve on it.

Finally, you might want to look at my own introduction to these two sermons on my blog. The goal of my blog is to serve God and His Church mainly by equipping and encouraging Christians. Explaining annihilationism is one small part of that. Here is my blog post:

Link: This is a link
Last Edit: 2 years ago by MarkC.

Re: A Two Part Sermon Introducing Annihilationism 2 years ago #3841

• webb
Well done again.

My favorite moment in part 2 comes around minute 43 to 47, where there is a very fine explanation--with a powerful analogy--of why ECT gets the symbolism of the lake of fire and the second death backwards.

Re: A Two Part Sermon Introducing Annihilationism 2 years ago #3842

I had to watch the second one twice. The first time it was in the background and I remembered almost none of it. The second time I grabbed a cup-o-joe and watched from beginning to end.

It is spectacular. You lay it out in such a way that it is almost impossible to take the traditional view seriously after watching. Its strongest point for me personally is where it is focusing on the various "real world" meaning of words (I liked your "fly" example) and then showing how those words are used in the OT. It always drives me crazy when people apply a "bible only" meaning to some words in order to support the traditional viewpoint. Kinda like when Catholics argue that Jesus Brothers were really cousins. For their "ever virgin" belief to be true, the plain language of the bible has to be twisted like a pretzel, and you've shown how the same must be done to support the Traditional view on Hell.

Very, VERY well done.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Kentucky Reign.

Re: A Two Part Sermon Introducing Annihilationism 2 years ago #3843

Kentucky Reign wrote:
I had to watch the second one twice. The first time it was in the background and I remembered almost none of it. The second time I grabbed a cup-o-joe and watched from beginning to end.

It is spectacular. You lay it out in such a way that it is almost impossible to take the traditional view seriously after watching. Its strongest point for me personally is where it is focusing on the various "real world" meaning of words (I liked your "fly" example) and then showing how those words are used in the OT. It always drives me crazy when people apply a "bible only" meaning to some words in order to support the traditional viewpoint. Kinda like when Catholics argue that Jesus Brothers were really cousins. For their "ever virgin" belief to be true, the plain language of the bible has to be twisted like a pretzel, and you've shown how the same must be done (but even more, by several orders of magnitude) to support the traditional view on Hell.

Very, VERY well done.

Re: A Two Part Sermon Introducing Annihilationism 1 year, 11 months ago #3932

• Singalphile
  • Gold Boarder
I watched it all. Some good thoughts and statements that I haven't thought of before. A very good presentation, I think. I hope it was well received, whether or not any opinions changed.

Thanks!
"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?