Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Why I think Annihilationism is catching on
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3928

• noctuary
  • Junior Boarder
Its "mild" sleep apnea, but the treatment causes its own problems. Its turned my life upside down.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3931

• Singalphile
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
I agree with some of the OP. The last 20 years or so has brought more access to the Bible and more information about it than any Christian has had in the last, say, 1,800 years. That is good. Nevertheless, I also am not very optimistic.

I was very recently listening to a man (a good Christian man, as far as I know) speaking about annihilationism. Despite his obvious lack of knowledge and understanding of the different views (which I think he'd probably admit to), he was certain that Christians need to buckle up and develop tactics to defend the obvious truth of eternal torment.

This is how it goes, in my experience. As if these theological opinions (the vast majority of which are secondary at best, imo) are things to be defended and fought over.

I don't see any Biblical evidence that God cares about our little systematic theologies. Rather, He appears to care far more about our exhibition of love (1 Cor 13) and the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5). But I see a lot of immaturity and people being "conceited, provoking one another, envying one another" (Gal 5:25), not to mention being quarrelsome, divisiveness, and prideful.

Until I see more maturity, humility, and teamwork among us all, I don't see reason for optimism.

That's my little rant.

noctuary, I'm so sorry that you are suffering. I'm sure that many of us who read this will pray for you, as I have done and will do as I remember you.
"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3937

• Grigori
  • Fresh Boarder
Kentucky Reign wrote:
Nothin' I disagree with there (Seattle - I was there for 45 years - is similar to Europe, though not quite as bad) except maybe one sentence. I don't think someone can love God but not His eternal promise.

And the reason I'm so passionate about CI vs ECT is that I believe ECT is the wedge that both allows churches to be full of goats and is used by anti-Christians to mock Christianity from outside. For me, it is not a benign disagreement.

Think about it: christians picture Heaven in many different and uncompatible ways, which reflect their understanding of a bearable eternity. There is a chance that some of those who picture it wrong end up asking Christ "please allow me to sleep forever/be annihilated/leap willfully in the lake of fire not as punishment but as reward for serving you".

Hmm, but there is a difference between being a christian because ECT and being a christian who believes in ECT. Not all traditionalists are sadistic preachers or hypocritical goats. John Stott, for ex, died a traditionalist despite his sympathies for annihilationism.

noctuary: may God heal you, brother. I have scrupulosity (religious OCD), which is like 24/7/365 mind torture.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Grigori.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3955

Grigori wrote:

Think about it: christians picture Heaven in many different and uncompatible ways, which reflect their understanding of a bearable eternity. There is a chance that some of those who picture it wrong end up asking Christ "please allow me to sleep forever/be annihilated/leap willfully in the lake of fire not as punishment but as reward for serving you".

Hmm, but there is a difference between being a christian because ECT and being a christian who believes in ECT. Not all traditionalists are sadistic preachers or hypocritical goats. John Stott, for ex, died a traditionalist despite his sympathies for annihilationism.

noctuary: may God heal you, brother. I have scrupulosity (religious OCD), which is like 24/7/365 mind torture.

I think to be a Christian you must desire to be in His presence in eternal life. If one looks at John 3:16 and says, "I love Christ but I'm tired. I don't really want eternal life.", they are basically turning down His gift. At that point they enjoy the fate of the goats - because they are one. They eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of their labor, and then they die.

Also, I think a lot of Christians that believe in ECT are not really Christians*. They say they are and may even attend church religiously (no pun intended) for decades because they are scared to death of going to ECT. They are, to me, like the "demons who believe there is one God, and tremble." Becoming a Christian because God scares the cr** out of you with ECT is, in my opinion, not being a Christian. I believe those are the ones He will tell that He did not know them. Christians come to God from love - and His faith.

That being said, a friend is a STRONG adherent to ECT and claims that, though she loves God, it was ECT that brought her to Christ. I'd like to discuss it with her more, but her husband and she are VERY devout (they are practically Amish in their lifestyle) and I don't want to wedge myself into that relationship. They are also KJV ONLY fanatics. They believe that every single word in the KJV is absolutely the divine and ever-unchanging word of God and an absolute PERFECT translation of His word to mankind, and all other versions are virtually, if not literally, blasphemous.

* I'm not judging any specific person (and none come to mind as I post), but suggesting what is really going on regarding the effects of ECT. I think it is the source of many goats in churches.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3956

Short version of the above: I believe a LOT of Christians believe in ECT, but have many problems with it, because, as they prayerfully study His word more and more, it makes less and less sense and departs from the personality of the God of their bible. But they believe it because they've never really studied it and traditional teaching - especially if it is what you've been taught since you learned to talk - is hard to abandon.

What they do is just not think about it very much, and when exposed to CI adherents they get "scared" that their belief in something "foundational" in the teaching of Christianity could be changed. And if it changes, what else could be changed?

The fear comes from lack of knowledge necessary to support one's viewpoints. This may sound a bit arrogant, but it must be said: In a way, Christians that, at a later age, after a lot of bible study, find themselves turning away from ECT to CI, have a lot in common with what happened to a man named Saul, when he became Paul. He came to the minority viewpoint and turned his knowledge from when he was its enemy to support the minority position.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 7 months ago #4054

• Sherman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Jesus - "Savior of All"
Hi Kentucky,

I appreciate your thoughts on this and agree very much with how much the internet is affecting people's beliefs. Through the internet we are able to interact with a much wider variety of people which is key to personal growth, I think. And truth need not fear error, for, as you pointed out, truth will rise to the top.

Blessings,
Sherman
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?