Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Why I think Annihilationism is catching on
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3908

• noctuary
  • Junior Boarder
Good post, thank you. However, the cares that choke me are medical, nothing positive. I guess Jesus may have only meant things of a positive nature when he spoke of the ground that produces thorns choking the life He gives; I may have misapplied his words earlier.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3911

noctuary wrote:
Good post, thank you. However, the cares that choke me are medical, nothing positive. I guess Jesus may have only meant things of a positive nature when he spoke of the ground that produces thorns choking the life He gives; I may have misapplied his words earlier.

The thing is, those medical issues can actually be the fertile soil. When my wife's first husband died of leukemia, leaving her with no life insurance and three kids under the age of 7, it actually STRENGTHENED her faith.

My wife and I very much embrace the concept of "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger". We very much appreciate Job and what he went through. God is in control, even when there are SERIOUS medical issues or permanent disabilities. The story of "Lieutenant Dan" in Forrest Gump is also a good lesson. My wife had her yelling at God moment herself. I have too.

We both now see everything completely differently than we ever imagined we could. No matter what happens. Life is a mist. Think of it as boot camp in a way. Think of it as a difficult college professor. The harder it is, the stronger you are when you come out of it.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3912

• Grigori
  • Fresh Boarder
Kentucky Reign wrote:
I have the optimism, because I also have a twist. And it was amplified when I moved to the bible belt. Here, a LOT more people go to church, but that doesn't mean they are Christian. Rather, it is just what they do. They go to be entertained by "fire breathing" preachers. Many are obvioiusly there to escape hell, rather than because they want to be with God. Many don't know what is in the bible and can't even tell you the difference between the old and new testaments.

Well, I live in Europe (the most unchristian place in today West), so my perspective differs from yours. That may explain why you worry about hypocrisy while I worry about apostasy.

I would have no problem if the only thing happening is that christianity is going to become a minoritarian faith for a spiritual elite. Yet, I foresee an organized persecution of christians, who would be used as scapegoats for the economical collapse by the secular governments, exactly like the jews were historically. Politics is full of psychopathic demagoges able to become new Neros.

Theological struggles like catholicism vs protestantism vs orthodoxy OR traditionalism vs annihilationism vs universalism aren't the root of modern apostasy. To the nihilistic masses we are evil bigots simply because we believe in God, something who makes them feel judged when they indulge in their favorite sins. Our mere presence reminds them of their smug hedonism, so they aren't going to leave us alone. Cultural christianity is the only way to assure that we are at least tolerated by the masses, who are not rational but whimsical.

Also, the desire to be immortal and the desire for a Heavenly Father aren't necessarily linked. Someones may love God but not His eternal promise, or love His eternal promise but not God. Newagers are an example of the latter: they want immortality without God.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3915

Grigori wrote:

Well, I live in Europe (the most unchristian place in today West), so my perspective differs from yours. That may explain why you worry about hypocrisy while I worry about apostasy.

I would have no problem if the only thing happening is that christianity is going to become a minoritarian faith for a spiritual elite. Yet, I foresee an organized persecution of christians, who would be used as scapegoats for the economical collapse by the secular governments, exactly like the jews were historically. Politics is full of psychopathic demagoges able to become new Neros.

Theological struggles like catholicism vs protestantism vs orthodoxy OR traditionalism vs annihilationism vs universalism aren't the root of modern apostasy. To the nihilistic masses we are evil bigots simply because we believe in God, something who makes them feel judged when they indulge in their favorite sins. Our mere presence reminds them of their smug hedonism, so they aren't going to leave us alone. Cultural christianity is the only way to assure that we are at least tolerated by the masses, who are not rational but whimsical.

Also, the desire to be immortal and the desire for a Heavenly Father aren't necessarily linked. Someones may love God but not His eternal promise, or love His eternal promise but not God. Newagers are an example of the latter: they want immortality without God.

Nothin' I disagree with there (Seattle - I was there for 45 years - is similar to Europe, though not quite as bad) except maybe one sentence. I don't think someone can love God but not His eternal promise.

And the reason I'm so passionate about CI vs ECT is that I believe ECT is the wedge that both allows churches to be full of goats and is used by anti-Christians to mock Christianity from outside. For me, it is not a benign disagreement.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Kentucky Reign.

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3920

• noctuary
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you for the reply. My issue is a chronic fatigue that won't let up. It darkens my mood considerably; I end up fearing for the future and I get angry at everything, including God. I curse and cuss throughout the day, and at night I ask forgiveness (sincerely).

Re: Why I think Annihilationism is catching on 1 year, 8 months ago #3923

noctuary wrote:
Thank you for the reply. My issue is a chronic fatigue that won't let up. It darkens my mood considerably; I end up fearing for the future and I get angry at everything, including God. I curse and cuss throughout the day, and at night I ask forgiveness (sincerely).

Honestly, I think that can be the worst kind (chronic fatigue). All I can offer for that one is prayer (and I already have). I'm not going to offer any medical advice. I suspect you get a LOT of that. And I don't know what else you are doing so I can't comment on that. Without knowing you personally, prayer is all I can offer here.
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?