"Squeezing" Scripture
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: "Squeezing" Scripture

Re: "Squeezing" Scripture 1 year, 8 months ago #3957

• Mcgragor
  • Senior Boarder
Kentucky Reign,

Just be careful, soon you will study yourself right out of being a Christian. I've seen it happen and I have heard of it happening to many. I hope you are prayerfully working through all of this.

When I hear someone say the Bible is "not the word of God" ...scary-I understand what you are saying as He revealed His word to man, but still very scary.

Re: "Squeezing" Scripture 1 year, 8 months ago #3959

Mcgragor wrote:
Kentucky Reign,

Just be careful, soon you will study yourself right out of being a Christian. I've seen it happen and I have heard of it happening to many. I hope you are prayerfully working through all of this.

When I hear someone say the Bible is "not the word of God" ...scary-I understand what you are saying as He revealed His word to man, but still very scary.

Yes, I had to think long and hard about it before I was willing to make that statement "before God and everybody".

What is happening to me, regarding the teaching of "organized Christianity" in general, is a little like what happened to Luther before he nailed the list to the door.

I mentioned somewhere else that I think that fear of walking "too far" away is what keeps so many ECT proponents from even seriously studying the concept of CI, much less accepting it.

I remember when I left my church of 18 years due to a divorce. It felt like I was leaving God. But since then, I no longer adhere to any particular man made church. I go to a "Church of God" where I live now, but I've gone to AG, Baptist, Four Square, and Christian.

Regarding the concern you rightly point out, it's one reason I bounce my thoughts off this site, my pastor, and others. It keeps me from going "off the reservation" as so many have. At least I hope it does. There are so many things I was told about the bible that I no longer believe. It's kind of embarrassing. I used to think the admonishment in Revelation to not add to or change any of it's content applied to the whole bible, even though there was nothing to support it. It was just what "super Christians" told me, so I took their word at face value.

I don't do that any more.

Re: "Squeezing" Scripture 1 year, 8 months ago #3961

• Mcgragor
  • Senior Boarder
Refreshing answer and not much I could disagree with.

Interesting you bring up Luther. I just told a brother in the Lord yesterday, that the people of Luther's time thought he was a heretic and the majority were lost in historical Catholicism. So what makes us different today, if we challenge ECT as part of a further Reformation?

For me, Eschatology needs to be reformed. AD 70 was huge and it marked a true turn from one age into another. The Old Covenant (Jewish temple worship/law age) was finally faded completely and the New C is where we are now.

As I mentioned in my other post on "Preterism and CI", both views come from the same hermeneutic, and a proper view of Revelation and who it was wrote too, really supports the CI view. All of the imminent return verses in the New C and there are many, really mean what they meant. It was imminent in their lifetime and indeed it happened.

Something I need to research some more, but some say the bodies of the dead were burned outside the city in Gehenna after the fall of Jerusalem, but not sure if this is hearsay or fact. Interesting though.

Whether that is true or not, the Jews would have understood what Jesus meant by Gehenna and allusions to judgement as to the judgment of the wicked we see int he OT. This of course would have really angered the Pharisees who considered themselves the righteous Israel.

Jesus said "this generation" and warned Caiaphas that he would also see Him in the clouds--Can give a person chills just thinking about. That is why He was crucified, because He spoke to them as God (He came in the clouds in the OT) and of course in Daniel we see the "Son of Man" in the clouds.

Re: "Squeezing" Scripture 1 year, 8 months ago #4039

• Mcgragor
  • Senior Boarder
Hoping Sherman will comment on this as it appears he may be a Preterist.

Sherman, thoughts on how both views seem compatible and in my opinion inseparable?

Re: "Squeezing" Scripture 1 year, 8 months ago #4043

• Sherman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Jesus - "Savior of All"
Hi Mcgregor, thanks for the invite.

I haven't read through the whole thread but if I had to describe my eschatological beliefs I'd say I'm a "Pan-millennialists!", in other words, "I think it's all going to Pan-out in the end! Funny but true. I do find the Preterist interpretation of Revelation to be very solid, but the Spiritualist interpretation is the most inspirational, encouraging, and applicable to my life and the church today! Revelation is more like Picasso's Guernica or Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings", than it is a dissertation on end-time events. It's apocalyptic literature. In most other literature the rule of interpretation is "Interpret literally unless absurd." But the rule for apocalyptic literature is "Interpret metaphorically unless absolutely plain."

I did want to say something about being easily offended; love is not easily offended. The more we are filled with love the more we let other's negative comments slide off us like water on a ducks back and are not easily offended. So let's be filled with the love of God for ourselves and one another!

Re: "Squeezing" Scripture 1 year, 8 months ago #4044

• Sherman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Jesus - "Savior of All"
Concerning the Bible being the word of God or the word of man about God, I believe that all writings inspired by God are profitable for us. Concerning the revelation of God's character and truth to man, I see revelation to be like a bullseye target. The very center of the target is the person of Jesus, God with us in the flesh! He is the perfect revelation of who God is! The number 2 ring is the Bible, the various works of literature that have been attested to by tradition to be most inspired by God. And even within ring number 2 are various levels with the Gospels, Pentateuch, and Paul's writings to be central to me. Ring 3 would be other literature that has inspired vast numbers of people, especially believers. Ring 4 would be the writings of non-believers that are very inspirational. And Ring 5 would be creation itself through which we can be inspired! (This is just a cursory explanation, please don't hold me to it technically; there could be 10 rings or more if one spelled out everything.)

The center is the brightest and easiest to understand, as we move away from the center the light is diffused and we need more discernment, but if we want to understand God then let's have ears to hear what the Spirit says through Jesus or through the ants! The most important thing is "having ears to hear", but this implies a true humility and openness of mind and heart; and it requires faith! Fear and Pride are our two biggest problems that keep us from having "ears that hear".
The following user(s) said Thank You: noctuary
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?