Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

My simple belief in Conditionalism
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My simple belief in Conditionalism

My simple belief in Conditionalism 4 months, 3 weeks ago #5026

Two scriptural references that I never see discussed concerning conditionalism are:

1. God told Adam and Eve that "You may surely eat of every tree of the garden. But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." Gen 2:16-17. Thus God simply says that sin leads to death. To parse this to mean a "spiritual death" is to basically say that God really didn't mean what he said. Therefore, believing that man is created as a natural eternal being makes God out to be a liar and affirms what the serpent said to Eve "You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Gen 3:4b.

2. The fact that the Bible never refers to Jesus going to heaven immediately upon his death. And the fact that He rested in the tomb until His resurrection on the third day. Then after His resurrection He tells the disciples not to touch him because he had not yet returned to the Father.

These are two simple and foundational beliefs of Christianity that seems, to me, to prove that immortality is conditional and that those who reject the free gift of Christ's offered eternity, with Him, means eternal death (annihilation). They also allude to God as the creator and sustainer of life. Which means, to me, that if God were to sustain the lost in eternal tormented life that God's character is a monster as claimed by atheists.

Re: My simple belief in Conditionalism 4 months, 2 weeks ago #5038

• Singalphile
  • Gold Boarder
I agree that immortality is conditional. I would argue that nothing could be more clear in the Bible.

To your points:

1. I agree. Inserting an idea of "spiritual death" (which is not a phrase found in the Bible, as far as I know) into there, is unnecessary and unwarranted.

2. Not sure about that one. That might affect our view of the intermediate state or the idea of the "soul", but I don't see how it's relevant to what will happen after the final judgment of the wicked (destruction/death/end). Luke 23 has Jesus saying, "today you will be with me in paradise."
"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Haak

Re: My simple belief in Conditionalism 4 months ago #5067

My point in number 2 is to shed some light on the argument that human life is "naturally eternal." When Jesus took on humanity and took upon him our sin that he is an example of the human condition in reference to mortality and immortality. To me, it underscores the sleep between human death and resurrection. I know it was only a little over a day but the fact that Jesus didn't go immediately to the side of his father upon his death.

Re: My simple belief in Conditionalism 2 months, 4 weeks ago #5105

My understanding: God says to Adam he would die "in the day". Their sin seperated them from God and Eden, They died spiritually that day / became sinners - God spoke the truth. - and later bodily. Spiritual death is certainly in the Bible (one other example is 1 Peter 4:6). It is the reason we have bodily death. The Eden story uses a lot of symbolism. A talking snake, trees with supernatural abilities. It is a spiritual story and we hear about Eden again in the symbolic book of Revelation.
Last Edit: 2 months, 4 weeks ago by Bjerregaard.

Re: My simple belief in Conditionalism 2 months, 4 weeks ago #5106

• Singalphile
  • Gold Boarder
Is that reference to 1 Peter 4:16 correct, or did you mean another passage? Thanks.
"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.

Re: My simple belief in Conditionalism 2 months, 4 weeks ago #5108

No I meant 4:6. Thank you! I have corrected it
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?