Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Death vs annihilation in terms of punishment
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Death vs annihilation in terms of punishment

Death vs annihilation in terms of punishment 9 months, 1 week ago #5054

First time poster, but I'm nearly through all of the podcasts and have become thoroughly convinced, somewhat to my initial dismay, of conditionalism.

Regarding the Pettis debate there seemed to be a consistent misunderstanding when Pettis would assume the argument was that the punishment was non-existence, there by, I believe discounting the death. To help describe the difference, I thought of this story.

A man is found standing in front of a pile of ashes distraught. Upon asking why, the man replies that he witnessed what looked like a meteor strike his house. His house was immediately engulfed in flames and smoke. His wife was caught upstairs in his house unable to escape. When the fire department arrived they could do nothing to quench the fire and the man had to stand there listening to his wife cry out his name followed by her screams of pain while she was dying in agony.

The common traditionalist view of the conditionalist position on punishment would then ask, "why didn't he just say she was cremated?"

Re: Death vs annihilation in terms of punishment 9 months, 1 week ago #5064

• Singalphile
  • Gold Boarder
That is a useful analogy (for several reasons).

The reality of that future destruction/death will of course be much worse, as those who go to their eternal punishment will mostly, I suppose, realize what they will lose out on - eternal life without suffering and sorrow and with God. To me, that is the most terrifying part of it.

Thanks.
"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?