Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2 Thes 1:9 - Eternal destruction from the face
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2 Thes 1:9 - Eternal destruction from the face

2 Thes 1:9 - Eternal destruction from the face 4 months, 1 week ago #5055

I am by no means qualified to do exegesis, but regarding 2 Thessalonians 1:9 there's an argument to be made that I haven't really heard yet on the podcast or elsewhere that seems plausible, but I have my doubts since I haven't heard it.

When discussing ἀπό meaning "from" or "away from" I have heard the argument that it could be the presence of the Lord that causes the destruction itself meaning "from" might be the better interpretation, but that argument seems to stop there as simply a plausible option.

However this sounded to me like what God warned Moses about if he were to see God. So I looked at how the verses in Exodus 33 were translated into the greek. The word "presence" in the greek is πρόσωπον which also means "face" and is the same word used in the Greek translation of Exodus when God says "you cannot see my face[πρόσωπον] , for man shall not see me and live" And similarly in Thessalonians when it says "and from the glory of His power" The word "glory" in the Greek is δόξα which again is the same word used when Moses asks "Please show me your glory" and when God says, "while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand" which of course God is doing so His presence and His glory doesn't kill Moses.

I suppose this could be coincidence, but can anyone with more authority speak to this?

Thanks
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by paulfalgout.

Re: 2 Thes 1:9 - Eternal destruction from the face 4 months, 1 week ago #5056

With a refined google search I was able to find a relevant argument, unsurprisingly on this website: rethinkinghell.com/2016/12/annihilation-...ion-or-obliteration/ Though I still think perhaps the similarities with both presence and glory are greater than the article suggests
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?