Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

I saw that Rob Bell signed up...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: I saw that Rob Bell signed up...

Re: I saw that Rob Bell signed up... 5 years, 4 months ago #512

Is fightingforthefaith.com one of those self-appointed hyper-fundie 'watchmen' groups like apprising.org that attacks anyone who is not like them?

I notice that they like to attack the following
- modern worship (Lutherans are also good at perpetuating the 'worship wars')
- seeker churches (they HATE Rick Warren)
- contemplation (they HATE Dallas Willard and Richard Foster)
- bad bible translations (they HATE The Message)

I'm no fan of Christian Universalism, but I'm not a Rob Bell hater. I just think Christian Universalists bring up the right questions, but found the wrong answers (Conditionalism is the answer, I think, to both the exegetical and ethical objections to the traditional view).

Re: I saw that Rob Bell signed up... 5 years, 4 months ago #525

• Givemhell
I'm actually a big fan of fightingforthefaith and I think that their central message behind all of the rhetoric is true, that the church should be focused on preaching law and gospel and not just law without gospel.

I agree with him about 95 percent of the time but I have to admit that at the same time, Chris does seem a little bit... dogmatic?

I mean, I can't help but roll my eyes every time he praises the virtues of the organ over the guitar. I don't know, that just my opinion.

I think that it would be fair to say that apprising is similar in tone to fighting for the faith.

You might like one of fighting for the faiths websites www.alittleleaven.com they have a section called the museum of idolatry. It is simply ridiculous.

Oh, this is interesting. This is a debate Chris, who runs fighting for the faith, had with Doug Pagitt on the topic of hell. If I had to guess I would say that Chris is a born again Christian and I have my doubts about Doug. I don't think that Chris did very well in this debate though.

vimeo.com/16566336
What bliss will fill the ransomed souls,
When they in glory dwell,
To see the sinner as he rolls,
In quenchless flames of hell.

- Isaac Watts
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Givemhell.

Re: I saw that Rob Bell signed up... 5 years, 4 months ago #526

I was just asking, i haven't checked out fightingforfaith yet. I wasn't sure if they were a hyper fundie group that dislikes the groups i mentioned above, and for many trumped up idiotic reasons (OK, I am ranting, I guess i have a sore spot here).

One of my favorite podcasts is the lutheran Issues Etc, and as a non-lutheran, I notice some of the 'strange' Lutheran emphases, including the heavy use of the words 'law and gospel' (as well as a preoccupation with the 'worship wars,' which, um were over in by 1980 except among fundies living in an ingrown culture from the 1800's - oh yeah, and an almost Catholic emphasis on the Eucharist and paedobaptism).

I guess 'law and gospel' is their 'balanced' retort to feel-good, Joel Osteen preaching? I don't mind this phrase, but on Issues, they have this one segment where they analyze a sermon, often by one of the 'suspect' preachers like Warren, Osteen, or some Willow Creek dude, and their method of evaluation is a narrow, simplistic self-caricature of unthinking Biblicism.

Essentially, they almost literally count how many times the word "Jesus" is mentioned, and determine whether or not a clear preaching of the gospel (law and gospel, mind you) is mentioned, and that's pretty much it.

In an otherwise excellent program, this simplistic view of 'law and gospel' is so overplayed that they really turn me off. I am just hoping that fightingforfaith doesn't fall into these same traps.

Re: I saw that Rob Bell signed up... 5 years, 4 months ago #527

• Givemhell
You might not like it then lol. The show is very much concerned with the distinction between the preaching of the law and the preaching of the gospel.

- Isaac Watts

Re: I saw that Rob Bell signed up... 5 years, 4 months ago #534

I think both are necessary, I'm just not so limited in what should be preached from the pulpit. I love world view stuff, practical teaching, and don't want to preach the same message weekly to people who are already converted.

I did write a post on this a while back:

Stick or Carrot in Gospel Preaching?
www.wholereason.com/2011/01/stick-or-car...ospel-preaching.html

Re: I saw that Rob Bell signed up... 5 years, 4 months ago #537

• Givemhell
I think I understand where you are coming from on this. I'll check out the article as well. Thank you.

- Isaac Watts
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Givemhell.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?