Username Password: Remember me

Why I believe Jesus is Savior of All
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why I believe Jesus is Savior of All

Re: Why I believe Jesus is Savior of All 1 year, 6 months ago #4059

• Singalphile
  • Gold Boarder
Yes, the gospel is good news for all people. God is the savior of all, and as ambassadors, we should exhort every person to be reconciled to God, and I trust that one way or another, everyone who remains alive will have done so. You know the different views well enough to understand how I see things, I think.

You wrote this:

"But of course I could be wrong, likely am in some of my beliefs; I just wish I knew which ones so that I could repent (funny but true)."

Maybe you didn't mean it like this, but I would like to remind you, if necessary, that it's not a sin to have a wrong theological opinion (nor for that matter does it make you righteous to have correct theological opinions). That sort of thinking leads to division and sectarianism (the meaning of the Greek hairesis, I think). So there'll be no need for repenting ... unless you just meant "change your mind".

"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by Singalphile.

Re: Why I believe Jesus is Savior of All 1 year, 6 months ago #4060

• Sherman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Jesus - "Savior of All"
Yep, that's what I meant, "change my mind".

Re: Why I believe Jesus is Savior of All 1 year, 6 months ago #4131

• Sherman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Jesus - "Savior of All"
You know, if all I studied were the punishment of sin passages, I'd believe in CI. My studies took a different route though. After 40+ years of believing in Infernalism, at a friend's request I started studying some of the passages that are commonly appealed to with a prima facie message of Universal Reconciliation (UR). I started studying passages like Col.1.20 and Romans 5.18 assuming that their immediate and extended literary context would surely indicate that "all" did not mean "ALL", that "all" was a generality or even a hyperbole or in some way limited to all of a certain condition like all in Christ, elected, or with faith. But as I studied them in their literary context (trying to not interpret them through the lense of another passage of scripture or the lense of the doctrine of Hell, the belief that not all will be reconciled to God) I increasingly found their literary context to affirm to me that "all" really meant "ALL".

I found this to be very discomfiting so I decided to study the doctrine of Hell and reaffirm my traditional Infernalist beliefs, because if the Bible clearly indicated there was a Hell and some would end up there, then no matter how much these UR passages seemed to indicate the reconciliation of all, "all" could not mean "ALL". But an unforeseen problem arose, the more I studied what scripture actually warned of (in the original languages), the more the doctrine of Hell dissolved before my very eyes. What I thought was rock-solid turned out to be nothing but sand, sand that crumbled between my fingers and blew away in just a little bit of wind. This shook me up pretty bad, so I started studying Infernalist and anti-UR material but the more I studied this material, the more the doctrine of ECT blew away like sand.

I was left believing that "all" really means "ALL", that every knee shall bow, that Jesus truly is "Savior of All". And I was also left believing that "death" means to cease from life in this present evil age, but not annihilation. That destruction references destruction in this life, not annihilation. That the purpose of judgment is to deliver us from evil, to bring an end to evil, not to lock us into evil or annihilate us. And that most judgment passages are meant as warnings to the children of God, the chosen, the elect, calling us to repent, warning us of the destruction of sin in out lives. And that such punishment and judgment passages do not mention their ultimate positive purpose - reconciliation - because they are meant to call us to repentance focusing on the negative side of the results of sin.

It has been challenging to face the rejection of some who I know and love, and face being excluded from fellowship because I've come to believe Jesus really is savior of all, but I trust the Lord is pleased with my honesty, even if I am errant in believing that Jesus really is savior of ALL.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?