Universalism, Conditionalism, and Traditionalism?

More
8 years 2 months ago #513 by Daniel Sinclair
Is there a one word descriptor for the traditional view? I mean, we've got Universalism and Conditionalism, we now need an 'ism' for the traditional view. Some suggestions (not all serious) - the first is my favorite - it's both a positive representation of the doctrine, and specific enough to know what it is.

For instance, when we choose Conditionalism over Annihilationism, we are not just choosing a euphemism, or something that is easier to type ;). We choose a positive attribute to represent us - it's like being Pro Life instead of Anti-abortion, or Pro-choice instead of pro-abortion.
  • Eternalism
  • Tormentism
  • Brimstoneism

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #517 by Givemhell
I believe that it is referred to as Traditionalism though I think that you have invented a few good alternatives lol.

What bliss will fill the ransomed souls,
When they in glory dwell,
To see the sinner as he rolls,
In quenchless flames of hell.

- Isaac Watts

More
8 years 2 months ago #518 by Chris Date
To be honest, I don't think the lingo here is going to change any time soon, and "Traditionalism" is the accepted term for now, by all parties. I think when Conditionalism becomes the dominant view for some period of time (how long, I don't know) then "Traditionalism" won't really work anymore since it won't really be traditional any longer, at which point a new term may be needed.

More
8 years 2 months ago #530 by Daniel Sinclair
I think that if some of our members have the academic clout to coin a word, we should. "Traditionalism" is way too ambiguous, and by itself, communicates nothing.

I think the principles that apply are:
- be as specific as possible without excluding views that would fall in the viewpoint
- emphasize the positive aspect of the doctrine, not the negative.

I thought about this at lunch, and considered "Unconditionalism" but this is still a bit of the negative side of the coin, or at least, stated as a negation of our position ('un')

So here's my current candidates:
- Immortalism
- Eternalism
- Unconditionalism

I think some of our PhD's should weigh in and take this exercise as a serious part of their next essay on Conditionalism.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #539 by Timothew
I asked that question here: www.christianforums.com/t7606980/

I suggested the term "tormentalism". If the main feature of a doctrine about God is eternal torment, then "tormentalism" fits the doctrine well. Some other interesting terms came up in the discussion.
(An aside, I can't go back to that forum, I've been banned for a month.)
How about "Augustinianism"?

Other terms included "Hellist" and "Laker" (for the lake of fire).

Τιμοθέῳ γνησίῳ τέκνῳ ἐν πίστει
Tim Wiesner
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Timothew.

More
8 years 2 months ago #540 by Givemhell
Hrmmnnn lol. If I had to change it I would change it to include the epithet "Man-made " to the currently accepted "Traditionalism" so that it would read "Man-made Traditionalism.

I can just imagine the moderator of a debate standing in front of a crowd saying "today, yada-yada will be defending the conditionalist position, that the human soul is not inherently eternal and that the wicked will ultimately be completely destroyed while yada-yada will be defending the Man-made Traditionalism position which teaches that the wicked will have eternal life in torment.

What bliss will fill the ransomed souls,
When they in glory dwell,
To see the sinner as he rolls,
In quenchless flames of hell.

- Isaac Watts

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds