Bible translations-wouldn't this help?

More
2 years 8 months ago #5296 by Mcgragor
Has anyone came out with a Bible translation that does not change words, but directly translates what the original says?

So Gehenna would be in the text and not hell?

Most of the debate on proper exegesis and the failure for people to see alternative readings of the text, which would be more accurate if it was directly translated, seems to be one of the major issues we have.

If there are debates about the greek or hebrew, alternative notes could be placed, but the word itself should be what was originality written.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #5297 by DTM
Well, for something like Gehenna, that would work and should be done. There are translations that leave Gehenna as Gehenna. But in general, that wouldn't work, for a couple of reasons.

Just translating word-for-word would result in something unreadable. I don't know any Greek or Hebrew, but I do know a little German, so I'll use that as an example. Suppose someone asked, in German, "Is there a drugstore nearby?" If you were to translate the German question he asked word-for-word, it would be something like, "Gives it here in the near a drugstore?" And remember that English is much more closely related to German that it is to Greek or Hebrew.

And words aren't always translatable one-for-one. Take that drugstore. There are two words in German that might be translated as "drugstore", depending on your intent. (If you need a prescription filled, you want an Apotheke, but if you want to buy toothpaste, it's Drogerie.) The translation from German to English will lose some meaning, and when you translate English to German, you'll have to decide which meaning to impose, which may or may not be clear from the context.

But here's a translation question I've wondered about for a while: If the proponents of ECT believe that the Greek word translated as destruction or destroy really means ruin, and the word for death really means separation, then why don't they translate it that way? (e.g. Why not say, "The wages of sin is separation"?) When I was in Germany and needed to find a place to buy a toothbrush, I didn't translate my request as Apotheke and expect the locals to know I really meant Drogerie. The people doing the Bible translations are highly educated in the language. Why would they consistently choose the wrong translation for those words? It seems to me they know that the proper rendering really is destruction and death, not ruin and separation.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by DTM.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds