Pope Francis an Apostate?

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #5316 by John Haak
Bottom line on this is that he is not quoted and this source, an Italian journalist, has misquoted him before.
www.foxnews.com/world/2018/03/30/vatican...-existence-hell.html
I would say that if Francis said, "ultimately disappear" then he is espousing Conditional Immortality and can have his picture added to the home page banner here. Do it RethinkingHellTeam™!
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by John Haak. Reason: punctuation fix

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• kgddds
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • God's glory is encountered through Jesus. —Heb 1:3
More
2 years 7 months ago #5317 by kgddds
Replied by kgddds on topic Pope Francis an Apostate?
From the USA Today article:

When asked where "bad souls" end up, according to the article in Thursday’s La Repubblica, Francis reportedly said that those who repent can be forgiven, but those who don't repent simply "disappear."

And then came the four words heard 'round the world: "Hell does not exist," the article quoted the pope as saying. "The disappearance of sinful souls exists.”

Whether Pope Francis was misquoted or not, the idea that hell does not exist [as a place of ECT for sinful souls] and that those soles disappear is, of course, the best conclusion to draw from what is presented in Scripture.

The beauty of grace is seen in the glory it reveals.
Grace is glory's seed; Glory is grace's bloom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Haak

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #5318 by John Haak
Replied by John Haak on topic Pope Francis an Apostate?
It is probably just "religious news" needed to sell papers and get clicks but it is all good for us if it gets discussions going.

"You think Hell does not exist." is one of the most misunderstood accusations against the truth on Hell. We do know Hell exists since it is properly Gehenna a "garbage dump where all things disappear". We do not believe in a Hell that continues on for eternity without end. I am pretty sure this is well defended in the "Explore" section of this website. www.rethinkinghell.com/explore/

So we have a new lead in for conversation; "Did you hear Pope Francis thinks hell means people disappear?"
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by John Haak. Reason: added link

More
2 years 7 months ago #5319 by Singalphile
Interesting. I also suspect that the report is inaccurate and clickbait. I read it here first, and then of course I saw it pop up in all my usual haunts.

The recent article on the home page suggests that the traditional view might not be considered official dogma of RCism. In other words, RCs are perhaps allowed to have differing opinions about hell in their organization. Perhaps this story, whatever its accuracy, will lead to some useful discussion in that direction.

I was going to comment about the alleged quotations, but they're dubious, too brief, and without context. I can't make anything of it yet.

"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.

More
2 years 7 months ago #5323 by John Haak
Replied by John Haak on topic Pope Francis an Apostate?
"First Things" has weighed in with a brief article ... www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2018/04/hell-yes

At least this has opened a door for conversation. That is all that we can ask.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Singalphile

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds