I have just rejected Hell! Wrote up my study

More
2 months 5 days ago - 2 months 5 days ago #5361 by senordineroman
Hi all -

I am a committed evangelical Christian, active in my local church. A few months ago, I got the idea to take a fresh look at the doctrine of Hell -- not even knowing about this website. I wrote up my study at the shorter site listed below. I am now looking forward to looking through this webpage here, which I only became aware of recently.

Here is my write-up, if anyone interested: sites.google.com/site/whyinolongerbelieveinhell/home

I sent this to my pastor (of 17 years) a few days ago and haven't heard from him yet. I will be seeing him in a few hours and am not sure what to expect.

Here are the table of comments of my page:

1 Eternal fate of the lost
2 Fire and Satan
3 But what about
4 Implications & applications
5 In a nutshell
6 Verses with my notes
Last edit: 2 months 5 days ago by senordineroman.
  • kgddds
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • God's glory is encountered through Jesus. —Heb 1:3
More
2 months 5 days ago #5362 by kgddds
Oh my goodness, what a great piece of writing! I love it!

I particularly liked this thought that makes me think:

“However, Satan and his demons don’t get the benefit of being put there for a second death - they will suffer forever.  In a passage just mentioned, Matthew 25:41, Jesus specifically states that the “eternal fire” He is sending the unbelievers to is, in fact, “prepared for the devil and his angels”.  Why would Jesus specify that if the unbelieving were also going to spend forever there?”

I liked many other aspects as well, but I’m most impressed with your passionate and diligent pursuit of Truth.

I wish everyone took your approach to conclude what the Bible actually says about final punishment instead of adopting what their “Study Bible” footnotes conclude about it. Great job!

Ken

The beauty of grace is seen in the glory it reveals.
Grace is glory's seed; Glory is grace's bloom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: senordineroman
More
2 months 5 days ago #5363 by senordineroman
Thanks for reading and commenting, Ken. It's helpful to get affirmation about my new position from others. As you read, this is a big theological change for me, and I do like knowing that there are others who find it to be sound. Blessings!
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #5375 by Singalphile
Hi, senordineroman.

I wish I'd been able to respond sooner, but I've been out of town all week and very busy (at a conference related to Bible translation - very enjoyable).

I read everything there at the site and I enjoyed and appreciated it. I did pretty much exactly what you did. I read through the NT twice, and jotted every reference that I thought was relevant to the topic. As you put it, "I then printed out those verses, read through them, took notes, made comparisons, looked up some Greek terms, and compiled my findings."

I have a few minor suggestions or comments:

1. I think Rev 14 might have a simpler explanation. I see little evidence that the passage is actually referring to the second death at all. As you probably know, the sentences in question are very similar to Isaiah 34:8ff.

2. It seems like you mentioned that you do not believe in unending punishment. I know what you mean, but I would be a little careful about that sort of statement. As annihilationists, we do believe that punishment is eternal and everlasting (or "unending", one might say).

3. Likewise, the title of you site includes "whyinolongerbelieveinhell". Again, we do believe in the existence of a place, which we call "hell" (for lack of a better word). We just think that eternal destruction/death/perishing will occur there, rather than eternal torment/punishing.

That's all I have. I enjoyed your notes and your writing. Thank you!

"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Singalphile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Haak, senordineroman
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #5376 by senordineroman
Thanks very much for the response, @singalphile -

I'm finding it very refreshing to come across other believers who have done the same kind of search through the Bible and have come to the same conclusion.

Thank you also for the comments, and the exhortation to be more careful with the terminology. That's important with these matters.

And no, I had not come across the Isaiah 34 reference yet - only the Isaiah 66 verse that talks about the worm that does not die / fire not quenched. So wow, I guess I can scratch that one off the list! Seems like a pretty solid interpretation.

I'm actually adding another tab to the site soon to address one extensive rebuttal that I got from a friend from Bible school. I'll drop a line back here in the forum once I do.

Thanks again! Greetings from Chicago.
  • kgddds
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • God's glory is encountered through Jesus. —Heb 1:3
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #5382 by kgddds

senordineroman wrote: I'm actually adding another tab to the site soon to address one extensive rebuttal that I got from a friend from Bible school.

Can you post that rebuttal? I’d be interested in reading it. Counter arguments are always interesting and helpful to understand.

And I had similar thoughts as Singalphile about how “rejecting Hell” would likely be misinterpreted by many even though I know what you mean. Maybe change it to “I have just rethought Hell” :)

The beauty of grace is seen in the glory it reveals.
Grace is glory's seed; Glory is grace's bloom.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by kgddds. Reason: Added thought
The following user(s) said Thank You: senordineroman
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds